Friday, June 09, 2006

Reine des limonades


When I think of having a French drink- it's usually champagne that comes to mind. But when my thirst hits me in Manufactum, a store that's still in love with the quality goods of the good old days, I'm not picky. Luckily, I don't have to settle for less than the queen of lemonades.

My first glance at the bottles had me erroneously reading rien instead of reine mistaking the
queen for the "Nothing of Lemonades". Ouais- my thirst was definitely getting the better of me. I obey my thirst and grab two bottles: original lemon flavor and mandarine.

La Mortuacienne was created by Marcel Alcide Rième in 1921 in the French Jura where it's still being produced today. I'm curious to have a sip of something that's lasted this long. Both drinks are made of carbonated mineral water, sugar and citric acid. The mandarin flavor has color additives.


My first sip is "pur sucre" and reminds me of lollipops- especially the mandarin. There's no sugary aftertaste though. My thirst is quenched but I'm thinking la mortuacienne could use a little cîroc. But that's another taste test.



Ouais (marque l'accord) uh-huh (when you agree)

la mandarine mandarin

pur sucre pure sugar


La photo: Les boissons de Morteau, trouvé en Allemagne. En Juin, 2006.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yum! Bellinzona, Switzerland produces a similar drink called Gazose Coldesina: http://www.wittich-weine.ch/de/01_aktuell/default.htm

But that's for your Italian blog Molto Interesante!